Update for NY State Mold Remediation Contractors
Important News UPDATE for Mold Remediation Contractors who do work
in NY State...
New York State has passed a new law (Chapter 55, Article 32 of Laws of New York, 2014) requiring licensure of Mold Remediation Contractors and Mold Abatement Workers and Mold Assessors (consultants) for all mold-related projects in New York State involving more than ten (10) square feet of mold. The law took effect on January 1, 2016.
Q - WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO FIRST?
A - Mold Remediation Contractors and Abatement Workers and Mold Assessors will need to go through the complete licensing process which includes:
- Complete a NY Dept. of Labor approved training program for each category
- Submit an application with fee payment to the NY Department of Labor
- Provide proof of workers compensation, if applicable, and liability insurance
- Be prepared to follow the detailed requirements for compliance with mandated work plans, to include work practices, procedures and documentation
Q - WILL I HAVE TO CHANGE THE WAY I PROVIDE MY SERVICES?
A - Probably, Yes! There are important requirements for how licensed Mold Assessors prepare reports, design mold remediation plans and interact with mold remediation contractors and property owners. Contractors will have to follow strict safety procedures to protect employees and occupants.
- Assessors must specify the personal protective equipment (PPE) necessary for workers, provide specific clearance criteria and estimate the cost of remediation
- Mold remediation contractors will be fully accountable to follow the remedial work plan, must use PPE as required by the Assessors and only use approved chemical agents
Q - WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
A - Here are a few additional important facts:
- The law prohibits Contractors and Assessors from providing both inspections/testing andremediation on the same property
- Licenses will need to be renewed every two years
- The law includes strong legal and administrative enforcement procedures including denying or revoking licenses and seeking civil and/or criminal penalties
Q - HOW CAN GARDEN STATE ENVIRONMENTAL (GSE) HELP?
A - GSE is an Industrial Hygiene-Environmental Consulting firm in business since 1985. We have completed over 10,000 mold and Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) related assessments throughout the Tri-state area, including a large number of residential and commercial projects in New York State. Our strong academic credentials, regulatory backgrounds, broad experience, and practical approach benefit clients by doing what is right - no more or no less!
We are now licensed in New York State in accordance with these new regulations and are prepared to assist clients and mold remediation contractors to provide compliant and effective services.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE:
Contact GSE at 201-652-1119 to discuss how this new rule affects you and how we can assist your company in complying with this new rule.
Click here for the NY Department of Labor website.